Family-Style Chili and Corn Bread Dumplings
pound boneless beef round steak or boneless pork shoulder
cup chopped onion (2 medium)
cups chopped green, red, or yellow sweet pepper (1 large)
15 ounce can chili beans with chili gravy, undrained
15 ounce can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
14 1/2 ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained, cut up
cup beef broth
teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon garlic salt
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
Corn Bread Dumplings
Green onions, cut into strips (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1/2-inch cubes. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, stir together meat, onion, sweet pepper, undrained chili beans with chili gravy, drained kidney or pinto beans, undrained tomatoes, broth, chipotle chile peppers or crushed red pepper, cumin, garlic salt, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. If you have an oval slow cooker, using two spoons, drop all of the Corn Bread Dumplings dough into small mounds onto the bubbling mixture in slow cooker. (If you have a round cooker, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drop half of the Corn Bread Dumplings dough onto the bubbling mixture. Spoon remaining batter into two or three greased muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.) Top each serving with cheddar cheese. If desired, garnish with green onion strips.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, substitute 1 pound ground beef or ground pork for the beef round steak or pork shoulder. In a large skillet, brown ground beef or pork; drain off fat before using.
Corn Bread Dumplings
ounce package corn muffin mix
cup shredded cheddar cheese, Monterey jack cheese, or Mexican cheese blend (2 ounces)
cup sliced green onions
cup sour cream
- In a large bowl combine corn muffin mix, cheese, and green onions. In a small bowl beat egg with a fork; stir in sour cream. Stir egg mixture into cheese mixture.
Nutrition Facts(Family-Style Chili and Corn Bread Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 529 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 101 mg chol.,
- 1256 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 35 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet