Cowboy Steak and Whiskey Butter
- For rub, in bowl combine chile powders, paprika, white pepper, black pepper, and sugar.*
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over low heat (about 300 degrees F). Meanwhile, let meat come to room temperature about 20 minutes before grilling. Pat meat with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Just before grilling, brush steaks with oil. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of rub and a little salt on steaks; pat in with fingers.
- Place steaks directly over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Turn and grill 5 more minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove from grill. Let rest at least 5 minutes.
- Top hot steaks with Whiskey Butter. To serve, slice steaks. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Store rub, covered, up to 3 months.
For this method, the food is placed on the grill rack directly over the heat source. Direct grilling is best for searing and cooking small, tender cuts that cook in 30 minutes or less, such as steaks, burgers, or boneless chicken.
- Combine butter, shallot, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire, Jack Daniel's, salt, and white pepper. Mix well. Drop butter in spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Roll in plastic and smooth out to form a round log. Refrigerate until hard and easy to cut, at least 3 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Cowboy Steak and Whiskey Butter)
- Per serving:
- 383 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 116 mg chol. ,
- 435 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 35 g pro.