- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups onion, finely diced
- 1 1/4 cups portobello or desired mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large skillet heat butter until melted and foaming. Add onions, mushrooms, and celery. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Cook 3 minutes, being careful not to brown.
2. Sprinkle thyme over onion mixture. Rub garlic and pinch of salt into paste; add garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender and translucent. Stir in grated carrot; remove from heat. Cool completely. Meanwhile, soak bread crumbs in half-and-half; lightly beat in eggs.
3. In large mixing bowl combine ground meats, bacon, cooled vegetables, and bread crumb mixture. Sprinkle the 1-3/4 teaspoons salt and the pepper. Using hands, mix until well blended.
4. Turn mixture into rectangular baking dish. Using hands, shape into a 9x5-inch loaf. Make shallow indentation around sides.
5. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar. Spoon over top of meat loaf. Bake on middle rack for 1 hour or until meat thermometer reaches 155 degrees F. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 518,
- Fat, total (g) 38,
- chol. (mg) 160,
- sat. fat (g) 15,
- carb. (g) 19,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 26,
- vit. A (IU) 1555,
- vit. C (mg) 6,
- sodium (mg) 1013,
- calcium (mg) 81,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet