Chuckwagon Goat Cheese Burgers with Onion Jam
pounds ground beef
recipe Onion Jam
ounces goat cheese (chevre)
teaspoons kosher salt
teaspoon crushed red pepper
slices Texas toast
Goat cheese (optional)
Golden tomato wedges (optional)
- Combine the ground beef, half of the Onion Jam, the 4 ounces goat cheese, the salt, and the red pepper in a large mixing bowl. Divide mixture into 6 portions and form each portion into a patty about 1 inch thick.
- Place burger patties on the lightly oiled rack of the grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 18 to 23 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in centers registers 160 degree F, turning burgers once halfway through grilling.
- Grill the Texas toast, if desired. Spread 6 slices with some of the remaining Onion Jam and top each with a grilled burger patty. Top with additional goat cheese, if desired. Top with the remaining Texas toast slices. Serve with any remaining Onion Jam and, if desired, golden tomato wedges. Makes 6 burgers.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
Prepare the Onion Jam for the burgers up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
tablespoons cooking oil
large yellow onions, thinly sliced
large red onions, thinly sliced
cups chopped green onions
cup balsamic vinegar
packed brown sugar
- Heat cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add yellow onions and red onions; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions; cook onion mixture for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Cover and chill for up to 1 week. Makes about 1-1/3 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Chuckwagon Goat Cheese Burgers with Onion Jam)
- Per serving:
- 597 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 104 mg chol.,
- 1047 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet