- In a blender or food processor combine tomatillos, the 3/4 cup cilantro, the ancho chiles, and jalapeno pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth**; set aside. Add tomatoes to blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth; set aside.
- Lightly season beef with salt and black pepper. In a Dutch oven cook half of the beef in 1 tablespoon of the oil until nearly brown. Remove from Dutch oven; drain off fat. Cook the remaining beef in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until nearly brown. Stir in onions, sweet peppers, and garlic. Cook and stir until meat is brown and vegetables are tender; drain off fat. Return all of the beef to Dutch oven.
- Stir in tomatillo mixture, pureed tomatoes, beans, corn, chili powder, and oregano. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 1 hour or until beef is tender and chili is desired consistency. Serve with desired toppers.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
Prepare as directed through Step 2, except place meat mixture into a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
If mixture is hard to blend, add a portion of the liquid from the tomatoes, this will make blending easier.
Nutrition Facts (Christmas Chili )
- Per serving:
- 651 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 13 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 93 mg chol. ,
- 919 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 15 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 49 g pro.