Chipotle Steak and Tomatoes
6 ounces beef shoulder petite tenders, or 2 6- to 8-oz. beef ribeye steaks
Salt and ground black pepper
canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped plus 2 tsp. adobo sauce
cup olive oil
medium (1 lb.) tomatoes, cut in thick slices
- Sprinkle steaks lightly with salt and pepper. Spread each with 1 teaspoon adobo sauce.
- For a charcoal grill, grill steaks on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until desired doneness, turning once. Allow 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare (145 degreesF) or 12 to 15 minutes for medium doneness (160 degrees F). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steaks on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.)
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the chopped pepper, olive oil, and vinegar. Shake to combine.
- Slice steaks and arrange on serving plates with tomatoes and avocado slices. Top with onion slices and drizzle with dressing. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
Omit oil and vinegar and stir the chipotle pepper into 1/2 cup bottled ranch dressing for a creamy dressing.
Nutrition Facts(Chipotle Steak and Tomatoes)
- Per serving:
- 421 kcal cal.,
- 33 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 21 g monounsatured fat),
- 50 mg chol.,
- 221 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet