Chimichurri Burgers with Grilled Plantains
teaspoons whole cumin seed, freshly ground, or 1 tablespoon ground cumin
cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
cup lightly packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
teaspoon crushed red pepper
teaspoon sea salt or coarse salt
cup canola oil
pounds lean ground beef
teaspoon ground red pepper
Mexican bolitos or burger rolls, split and toasted
Sliced tomatoes and onions
Grilled Plantains (optional)
- Cover the bottom of a small skillet with the cumin; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat. For chimichurri, combine the cumin, cilantro, parsley, vinegar, red pepper, and sea salt or coarse salt in a blender container. Cover and blend on lowest speed, slowly adding the oil.
- Combine ground beef, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the ground red pepper in a large mixing bowl. Shape into 12 patties 3-1/2 inches in diameter. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the chimichurri mixture in the center of each of 6 of the patties. Place remaining patties on top and seal edges.
- Place burger patties on the lightly oiled rack of the grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 18 to 22 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in centers registers 160 degree F, turning once halfway through grilling. Brush rolls with some of the chimichurri sauce. Top with burgers, remaining sauce, and tomatoes and onions. Serve with Grilled Plantains, if desired. Makes 6 burgers.
- To make the Grilled Plantains, bias-slice peeled plantains into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Brush with peanut oil. Grill directly over medium heat for 8 minutes or until centers are just soft, turning once. Drain on clean paper towels. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts(Chimichurri Burgers with Grilled Plantains)
- Per serving:
- 650 kcal cal.,
- 44 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 162 mg chol.,
- 563 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet