Chicken Fried Steak
pound boneless beef top round steak, cut 1/2 inch thick
cup fine dry bread crumbs
teaspoon black pepper
tablespoons cooking oil
small onion, sliced and separated into rings
Salt and black pepper (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into four serving-size pieces. Place each piece of beef between two pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to edges, pound meat lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap.
- In a shallow dish or on waxed paper combine bread crumbs, basil, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In another shallow dish combine egg and the 1 tablespoon milk. Dip meat pieces into egg mixture, then coat with the bread crumb mixture.
- In a 12-inch skillet cook meat, half at time, in hot oil over medium heat about 6 minutes or until brown, turning once. (Add more oil, if necessary.) Return all meat to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes more or until meat is tender. Transfer meat to a serving platter, reserving drippings in skillet. Keep warm.
- For gravy, cook onion in reserved drippings until tender but not brown. (Add more oil, if necessary.) Stir in flour. Gradually stir in the 1-1/3 cups milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. If desired, season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve gravy with meat.
- Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Facts(Chicken Fried Steak)
- Per serving:
- 351 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 108 mg chol.,
- 578 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet