Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza
16 ounce frozen whole wheat or white bread dough, thawed
cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
recipe Meaty Pizza Filling
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. On a lightly floured surface roll two-thirds of the dough into a 12-inch circle. (If necessary, let dough rest once or twice during rolling.) Place circle in a greased 9-inch springform pan, pressing dough 1-1/2 inches up the sides. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella. Top with the Meaty Pizza Filling. Mix spinach, egg, and remaining mozzarella. Spread spinach mixture over Meaty Pizza Filling.
- Roll remaining dough into a 10-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Arrange wedges on spinach mixture, slightly overlapping edges and sealing edges to bottom crust along edge of pan. Brush top with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is hot and crust is done. If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of springform pan. Cut into wedges. Serves 8.
Meaty Pizza Filling
ounces bulk Italian sausage
cup chopped onion
ounce can pizza sauce
ounce can mushrooms
3 1/2 ounce sliced pepperoni
teaspoons dried oregano
- In a large skillet cook bulk Italian sausage and chopped onion until sausage is brown, drain. Pat meat with paper towels. Stir in pizza sauce; mushrooms, drained; one package sliced pepperoni; dried basil, crushed; and dried oregano, crushed.
Meaty Pizza Filling:
Nutrition Facts(Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 480 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 95 mg chol.,
- 1267 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet