- Makes: 2 servings
- Prep: 17 mins
- Broil: 8 mins
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
Cheesy Sour Cream and Onion Burgers
cup sliced fresh mushrooms
small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
teaspoons margarine or butter
cup dairy sour cream
tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
teaspoon Dijon-style or yellow mustard
ounces ground beef, pork, raw turkey, or raw chicken
slices Monterey Jack, Swiss, or provolone cheese (1-1/2 to 2 ounces total)
Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, split and toasted
Dijon-style or prepared mustard (optional)
- In a small saucepan cook mushrooms and onion in margarine or butter over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is very tender, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl stir together the sour cream, bread crumbs, mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir in ground beef, pork, turkey, or chicken. Shape meat mixture into two 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- To broil, place meat patties on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 8 minutes. Turn and broil 8 to 10 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in side of patty registers 160 degrees F. Place a slice of cheese atop each burger. Broil about 1 minute more or until cheese begins to melt.
- Or, to grill, place meat patties on the rack of an uncovered grill. Grill directly over medium-hot coals for 8 minutes. Turn and grill for 8 to 10 minutes more or until no pink remains. Place a slice of cheese atop each burger. Grill about 1 minute more or until cheese begins to melt.
- To serve, place each burger on the bottom half of a toasted bun. Top with mushrooms and onion, then a bun top. If desired, serve with mustard. Makes 2 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Go picnic-style with baked beans and glasses of lemonade.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Sour Cream and Onion Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 551 kcal cal.,
- 32 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 103 mg chol.,
- 768 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet