- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 9 hrs to 10 hrs (Low)
- Stand: 10 mins
Cappuccino Pot Roast
3 pound beef chuck roast
pound small whole carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces (halve any large)
ounces boiling onions, peeled and halved, or 1 large onion cut in thin wedges
cloves garlic, halved
jalapeno peppers*, seeded and sliced
cup strong brewed coffee
1 1/2 ounce beef stew seasoning mix
tablespoons balsamic vinegar
cubes chipotle bouillon cubes, crumbled; or 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled with 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile
8 ounce container dairy sour cream
recipe Gremolata (recipe below)
- Trim fat from roast; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on meat. Set aside.
- In 6-quart slow cooker combine carrots, onions, garlic and jalapeno peppers. Place roast on top of vegetables.
- In medium bowl combine coffee, seasoning mix, balsamic vinegar, bouillon, and bay leaf. Pour over roast in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours.
- Transfer roast to cutting board; cover and let rest 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to serving dishes (remove and discard bay leaf); cut up meat and add to bowls. Using a wire mesh strainer, strain sauce, reserving 2 cups. Place sour cream in a medium bowl; whisk in the 2 cups sauce. Spoon some sauce on beef; pass remaining. Sprinkle with Germolata. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers, such as jealapenos, can burn skin and eyes, wear plastic or rubber gloves when handling them. If using bare hands, wash well with soap and water immediately after.
cup snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
cloves garlic, minced
- In a small bowl combine parsley, lemon peel, and garlic.
Nutrition Facts (Cappuccino Pot Roast)
- 530 kcal cal.;
- 36 g Fat, total;
- 127 mg chol.;
- 16 g sat. fat;
- 13 g carb.;
- 15 g Monosaturated fat;
- 1 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 3 g fiber;
- 6 g sugar;
- 34 g pro.;
- 1084 mg sodium;
- 0 g Trans fatty acid;
- 3 mg iron;
- 3 µg Cobalamin (Vit. B12);
- 101 mg calcium;
- 96 IU vit. A;
- 40 µg Folate;
- 1 mg Pyridoxine (Vit. B6);
- 8 mg Niacin;
- 808 mg Potassium;
- 0 mg Riboflavin;
- 0 mg Thiamin;
- 11 mg vit. C
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet