- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 pound small whole carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces (halve any large)
- 8 ounces boiling onions, peeled and halved, or 1 large onion cut in thin wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 jalapeno peppers*, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 1 1/2 ounce beef stew seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cubes chipotle bouillon cubes, crumbled; or 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled with 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 8 ounce container dairy sour cream
- 1 recipe Gremolata (recipe below)
1. Trim fat from roast; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on meat. Set aside.
2. In 6-quart slow cooker combine carrots, onions, garlic and jalapeno peppers. Place roast on top of vegetables.
3. In medium bowl combine coffee, seasoning mix, balsamic vinegar, bouillon, and bay leaf. Pour over roast in cooker.
4. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours.
5. Transfer roast to cutting board; cover and let rest 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to serving dishes (remove and discard bay leaf); cut up meat and add to bowls. Using a wire mesh strainer, strain sauce, reserving 2 cups. Place sour cream in a medium bowl; whisk in the 2 cups sauce. Spoon some sauce on beef; pass remaining. Sprinkle with Germolata. Makes 8 servings.
- Because hot chile peppers, such as jealapenos, can burn skin and eyes, wear plastic or rubber gloves when handling them. If using bare hands, wash well with soap and water immediately after.
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
1. In a small bowl combine parsley, lemon peel, and garlic.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 530,
- Fat, total (g) 36,
- chol. (mg) 127,
- sat. fat (g) 16,
- carb. (g) 13,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 15,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- Trans fatty acid (g) 0,
- fiber (g) 3,
- sugar (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 34,
- vit. A (IU) 96,
- vit. C (mg) 11,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 8,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 40,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 3,
- sodium (mg) 1084,
- Potassium (mg) 808,
- calcium (mg) 101,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet