Braised Beef Shanks with Mushrooms and Olives
tablespoons olive oil
bone-in beef shanks, about 1-1/4-inches thick (about 4 lb.)
Salt and ground black pepper
large onions, chopped (2 cups)
medium carrots, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
cloves garlic, minced
cup dry red wine or beef broth
14 1/2 ounce can undrained can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
cup beef broth
ounces cremini or button mushrooms, quartered or halved
recipe Fresh Herb Topper, recipe below
cup pitted assorted olives
Hot cooked gnocchi (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef shanks and brown on both sides. Remove beef shanks from Dutch oven. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add onions, carrots, and garlic to Dutch oven. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until softened. Add wine and deglaze pan by scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Add undrained tomatoes, beef broth, and beef shanks to pan. Bring to boiling.
- Cover and bake 2 to 3 hours, or until beef is tender, adding mushrooms the last 20 minutes of cooking time. Meanwhile prepare Fresh Herb Topper.
- Remove beef shanks to a serving platter. Strain vegetables from cooking liquid. Stir olives into vegetables and spoon over beef shanks. Skim fat from cooking liquid and drizzle over beef shanks, vegetables, and gnocchi. Sprinkle with Fresh Herb Topper. Makes 8 servings.
Fresh Herb Topper
cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
teaspoons finely shreded lemon peel
cloves minced garlic
- In a small bowl combine Italian parsley, lemon peel, and garlic. Makes 1/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts(Braised Beef Shanks with Mushrooms and Olives)
- Per serving:
- 387 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 66 mg chol.,
- 666 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet