Beef Ragu with Garbanzo Beans
large carrots, coarsely chopped
stalks celery, coarsely chopped
cup coarsely chopped onion (1 large)
cloves garlic, peeled
pounds lean ground beef (93% lean)
14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
14 ounce cans beef broth
15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
tablespoons tomato paste
teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
teaspoon crushed red pepper
pounds dried rigatoni pasta
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a food processor, combine carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Cover and process with on/off pulses until finely chopped; set aside. In a large skillet, cook ground beef in two batches over medium to medium-high heat until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up clumps. Drain fat.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine cooked ground beef, finely chopped vegetables, undrained tomatoes, broth, drained beans, tomato paste, sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours. If necessary, skim fat.
- Shortly before serving, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Return pasta to hot pan. Add meat mixture; toss gently to combine. If desired, serve with cheese and/or additional crushed red pepper.
Nutrition Facts(Beef Ragu with Garbanzo Beans)
- Per serving:
- 385 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 41 mg chol.,
- 904 mg sodium,
- 56 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet