Depending on how much heat you like, choose sweet or hot Hungarian paprika to spice this goulash main-dish recipe.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 9 hrs (low) or 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours (high)
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine meat, carrots, onions, and garlic. In a small bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, the 1 tablespoon paprika, the lemon peel, salt, caraway seeds, black pepper, and bay leaf. Stir into vegetable and meat mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in sweet pepper strips. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Serve with hot cooked noodles. Top with sour cream or yogurt. If desired, sprinkle with additional paprika. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
For Easy Cleanup:
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts (Beef Goulash)
- Per serving:
- 356 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 85 mg chol.,
- 678 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 32 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet