Beef Brisket with Roasted Grapes
5 pound beef brisket
tablespoons cooking oil
pound onions, chopped (about 3-3/4 cups)
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon ground ginger
Salt and ground black pepper
cups red wine, such a shiraz
14 ounce can beef or chicken broth
pound carrots, peeled
pound pearl onions, peeled*
cups seedless red grapes
cup cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Trim excess fat from brisket; set brisket aside. In a roasting pan with cover, cook chopped onions and garlic in hot oil until onions are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ginger; cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Season brisket with salt and pepper; place brisket on onion mixture. Add wine and broth. Cover; roast for 2 hours.
- Remove cover; add carrots. Roast, uncovered, 45 to 60 minutes more or until carrots are just tender.
- Remove brisket from oven; stir in pearl onions. Cover; let stand for 30 minutes. Transfer meat and vegetables to storage container. Cover and refrigerate meat and vegetables in one container and pan juices in another. Refrigerate all overnight (12 to 24 hours).
- Before serving, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove fat from pan juices; discard fat. Transfer juices to saucepan; boil gently, uncovered, about 20 minutes until reduced to 2-1/4 cups. While brisket is cold, slice off any excess fat. Slice meat against the grain; slice carrots diagonally in 2-inch pieces. Return brisket and vegetables to roasting pan. Add grapes, herbs, and reduced juices. Cover and reheat in oven for 45 minutes. Transfer brisket, grapes, onions, and carrots to platter. Discard herb sprigs.
- For gravy, in a small saucepan combine oil and flour; stir in pan juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Serve with brisket. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To peel pearl onions, place whole onions in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Cut off end of each onion and squeeze gently to remove skin.
Nutrition Facts(Beef Brisket with Roasted Grapes)
- Per serving:
- 564 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 132 mg chol.,
- 384 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 51 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet