Beef roast is flavored in a red wine sauce for this traditional French stew recipe. Use the slow cooker directions when you need a hearty, table-ready meal on busy nights.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven brown half of the meat in the hot oil; remove meat from Dutch oven. Add remaining meat, chopped onion, and garlic to Dutch oven. Cook and stir until meat is brown and onion is tender. Return all meat to Dutch oven.
- Stir in wine, broth, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Add mushrooms, carrot, and pearl onions. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- In a small bowl stir together flour and butter until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in crumbled bacon. Serve with hot noodles.
- Makes 6 servings (6 cups)
From the Test Kitchen
Brown meat, chopped onion, and garlic in hot oil as above. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker layer mushrooms, carrot, and pearl onions. Omit the flour and butter or margarine. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca. Place meat mixture on top of vegetables. Add thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Decrease wine to 1 1/4 cups and beef broth to 1/2 cup; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts (Beef Bourguignon)
- Per serving:
- 395 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 87 mg chol.,
- 436 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet