- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 - 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 8 inches whole wheat or low-fat flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (4 ounces) (optional)
- 1 Pico de Gallo Salsa (optional)
1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into six pieces. Place meat in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Add undrained tomatoes, onion, chipotle pepper, garlic, oregano, salt, and cumin.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
3. Remove meat from cooker, reserving cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Using a slotted spoon, remove tomatoes and onion from cooker; set aside. Stir enough of the reserved cooking liquid into meat to moisten. Discard any remaining cooking liquid.
4. To serve, spoon 1/2 cup of the meat just below the center of each warm tortilla. Top each with about 3 tablespoons of the tomato mixture. If desired, top with cheese and/or Pico de Gallo Salsa. Roll up tortillas.
- Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato, (2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh serrano chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped, peeled jicama
- 1/4 cup thin radish strips
1. In a small bowl, combine tomato, onion, cilantro, and serrano chile pepper.* Stir in jicama and radish strips. Cover and chill for several hours before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 361,
- Fat, total (g) 11,
- chol. (mg) 86,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 22,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 4,
- fiber (g) 12,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 40,
- vit. A (IU) 437,
- vit. C (mg) 9,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 9,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 12,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 540,
- Potassium (mg) 513,
- calcium (mg) 111,
- iron (mg) 6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet