Beef and Carrot Ragu
pounds boneless beef short ribs
Salt and ground black pepper
ounces pkg. peeled fresh baby carrots, chopped
pound Roma tomatoes, chopped
6 ounce can tomato paste with basil, garlic, and oregano
cup water or red wine
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Trim excess fat from rib meat. Cut beef in chunks, then sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place beef in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- Smash garlic clove with the flat side of a chef's knife or meat mallet. Separate and discard garlic skins. Place smashed garlic on beef. Add carrots and tomatoes to slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato paste and water or wine. Poor over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir well before serving. Top servings with basil leaves.
Nutrition Facts(Beef and Carrot Ragu)
- Per serving:
- 509 kcal cal.,
- 42 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 19 g monounsatured fat),
- 86 mg chol.,
- 568 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet