- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 4 1/2 hours (high), plus 30 minutes
Beef and Borscht Stew
pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
tablespoon vegetable oil
medium beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, or one 16-ounce can diced beets, drained
cups chopped, peeled potatoes (2 medium)
cup coarsely chopped tomatoes (2 medium)
cup coarsely shredded carrots (2 medium)
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
cups reduced-sodium beef broth
6 ounce can tomato paste
tablespoons red wine vinegar
tablespoon packed brown sugar
teaspoon dried dill
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups shredded cabbage
Sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- In a large skillet brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil; drain off fat. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker combine beets, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Add meat to cooker.
- In a large bowl combine broth, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, dill, and pepper. Pour over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in cabbage. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf. If desired, serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts (Beef and Borscht Stew)
- Per serving:
- 248 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 45 mg chol.,
- 623 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet