Beef and Borscht Stew
- In a large skillet brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil; drain off fat. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker combine beets, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Add meat to cooker.
- In a large bowl combine broth, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, dill, and pepper. Pour over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in cabbage. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf. If desired, serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts (Beef and Borscht Stew)
- Per serving:
- 248 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 45 mg chol.,
- 623 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet