Two-Bean Tamale Pie
cup chopped green sweet pepper
cup chopped onion
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon cooking oil
15 ounce can kidney beans or black beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed
6 ounce can vegetable juice (2/3 cup)
4 ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
teaspoon chili powder
teaspoon ground cumin
8 1/2 ounce package corn muffin mix
cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
cup snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Grease a 2-quart square baking dish or 10-inch quiche dish; set aside.
- In a medium skillet cook sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in kidney beans, pinto beans, vegetable juice, chile peppers, chili powder, and cumin; heat through. Spoon bean mixture into the prepared dish.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Add cheese and cilantro to muffin mix, stirring just until combined. Spoon cornbread mixture evenly over top of bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until golden. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream.
- Makes 6 main-dish servings
Nutrition Facts(Two-Bean Tamale Pie)
- Per serving:
- 359 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 10 mg chol.,
- 842 mg sodium,
- 57 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet