Tortilla-Black Bean Casserole
cups chopped onion (2 large)
cups chopped green sweet pepper (2 medium)
14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
cup bottled picante sauce or green salsa
teaspoons ground cumin
cloves garlic, minced
15 ounce can black beans and/or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
6 inches corn tortillas
ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
cups shredded lettuce (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)
Sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
cup light dairy sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
- In a large skillet combine onion, sweet pepper, undrained tomatoes, picante sauce, cumin, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in beans.
- Spread one-third of the bean mixture over the bottom of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with six of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary, and 1 cup of the cheese. Add another one-third of the bean mixture; top with remaining 6 tortillas and remaining bean mixture.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 10 minutes.
- If desired, top with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, green onions, and olives, and serve with sour cream.
- Makes 8 main-dish servings
Nutrition Facts(Tortilla-Black Bean Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 295 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 20 mg chol.,
- 689 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet