- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3 1/2 cups dry red beans (1-1/2 pounds), rinsed and drained
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups chopped onion (3 large)
- 2 4 ounce cans (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 medium green sweet peppers, cut into strips
- Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
1. Place beans in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
2. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine beans, the 5 cups water, the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and Creole seasoning.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 13 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hours.
4. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in undrained tomatoes, uncooked rice, and sweet peppers. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. If desired, pass bottled hot pepper sauce. Makes 4 or 5 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 415,
- Fat, total (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 81,
- fiber (g) 16,
- pro. (g) 23,
- sodium (mg) 541,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet