Mixed Bean Cassoulet
This bean casserole, a meatless rendition of the classic French cassoulet, is very high in soluble fiber, the kind that may help lower cholesterol.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 20 mins 350°F
- Cook: 1 hr 30 mins
Mixed Bean Cassoulet
cup dry Great Northern beans
cup dry pinto beans
cup dry garbanzo beans
cup chopped celery
cup chopped onion
cup chopped carrot
tablespoon olive oil
cups vegetable broth
cup dried porcini mushrooms
cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, chopped
cup oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and snipped
tablespoons roasted garlic puree
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon black pepper
cups soft sourdough bread crumbs
tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Rinse beans. In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine beans and 8 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or, place beans in water in Dutch oven. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans; set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven cook the celery, onion, and carrot in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or just until vegetables are tender. Add the drained beans, vegetable broth, the 1/4 cup water, and dried mushrooms. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Stir in the roasted red peppers, dried tomatoes, garlic puree, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and black pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes more or until beans are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a 2-quart casserole. In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, melted butter, and garlic. Sprinkle over bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread crumbs are lightly toasted.
Nutrition Facts (Mixed Bean Cassoulet)
- Per serving:
- 359 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 674 mg sodium,
- 53 g carb.,
- 13 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet