Cracked Wheat Burgers with Pickled Onions and Lime Slather
cup chopped onion
tablespoons olive oil
cup cracked wheat
tablespoons soy sauce
cup rinsed and drained canned pinto beans
cup walnuts, toasted
cup tightly packed cilantro sprigs
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon cayenne pepper
cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
tablespoons olive oil
whole grain bagel tops, toasted (reserve bottoms for another purpose)
- Prepare Pickled Onions.
- In a medium saucepan, cook 1/2 cup of the onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in cracked wheat and water. Bring mixture to a boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in soy sauce.
- In a food processor combine beans, walnuts, remaining 1/2 cup onion, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cover and process with several on-off turns until is combined and paste-like. Stir walnut mixture and bread crumbs into wheat mixture. Stir until combined.
- Shape mixture into six 3/4-inch thick patties. Cover and chill for 1-1/2 hours.
- Brush both sides of patties with 2 tablespoons olive oil. For a charcoal grill, grill patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.)
- Serve patties open-face on toasted bagel tops; spoon Lime Slather over patties. With a slotted spoon, remove Pickled Onions from marinade. Place atop Lime Slather. Makes 6 servings.
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
teaspoon lime juice
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, lime peel, and lime juice.
tablespoons lime juice
tablespoon rice vinegar
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine onion, lime juice, vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover and chill 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts(Cracked Wheat Burgers with Pickled Onions and Lime Slather)
- Per serving:
- 518 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 13 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 765 mg sodium,
- 53 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet