Southwestern Black Bean Cakes with Guacamole
Black Bean cakes:
- Place torn bread in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend until bread resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a large bowl and set aside. Place cilantro and garlic in the food processor bowl or blender container; cover and process or blend until finely chopped. Add beans, 1 of the chipotle peppers, 1 to 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce (reserve remaining peppers and sauce for another use), and cumin. Process or blend using on/off pulses until beans are coarsely chopped and mixture begins to pull away from sides. Add mixture to bread crumbs in bowl. Add egg; mix well and shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Grill patties on the lightly greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until patties are heated through, turning once.
- Meanwhile in small bowl mash avocado. Stir in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve patties with guacamole and tomato.
- If desired, for burger baskets, place the bean cakes on a bed of purchased baked tortilla chips in a lined basket or bowl and garnish with orange wedges. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 24 hours in advance, prepare guacamole, cover, and refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts (Southwestern Black Bean Cakes with Guacamole)
- Per serving:
- 178 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 53 mg chol.,
- 487 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet