Polenta With Mushroom Ragu
16 ounce package refrigerated cooked polenta
tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
cups shiitake, crimini, or white button mushrooms, sliced
medium green onions, thinly sliced
tablespoons finely chopped red sweet pepper
cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut polenta into four slices, about 3/4-inch thick. Cut slices into shapes such as traingles or hearts, if desired. Lightly coat a cookie sheet with some of the olive oil. Arrange polenta slices on the cookie sheet and brush them with some of the olive oil.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 4 minutes. Turn and brush with a little more of the olive oil. Broil for 4 minutes more or until golden brown.
- For ragu, cook the mushrooms, green onions, and sweet pepper in the remaining olive oil in a medium saucepan about 5 minutes or until tender. Carefully add chicken broth and ground pepper; bring to boiling. Reduce the heat and cook, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is slightly thickened.
- To serve, arrange polenta shapes on small plates or platter. Top with warm ragu. Makes 2 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
1 vegetable, 1 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Nutrition Facts(Polenta With Mushroom Ragu)
- Per serving:
- 193 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 657 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet