Pinto Beans and Rice
cups dry pinto beans (8 ounces)
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
small smoked ham hocks (about 8 ounces each)
ounces cooked smoked sausage, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
cups hot cooked rice
- Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and 3 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and return to saucepan. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, pepper, and 3 cups fresh water. Add ham hocks. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding more water, if necessary, and stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from ham hocks; chop meat and set aside. Discard bay leaf. In a medium skillet cook sausage over medium heat about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir chopped meat, cooked sausage, and salt into beans. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more or until heated through.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts(Pinto Beans and Rice)
- Per serving:
- 413 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 38 mg chol.,
- 943 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet