- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/4 cups dry pinto beans (8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 small smoked ham hocks (about 8 ounces each)
- 8 ounces cooked smoked sausage, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
1. Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and 3 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
2. Drain beans and return to saucepan. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, pepper, and 3 cups fresh water. Add ham hocks. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding more water, if necessary, and stirring occasionally.
3. Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from ham hocks; chop meat and set aside. Discard bay leaf. In a medium skillet cook sausage over medium heat about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir chopped meat, cooked sausage, and salt into beans. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more or until heated through.
4. Serve over hot cooked rice. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 413,
- Fat, total (g) 14,
- chol. (mg) 38,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 48,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 23,
- vit. C (mg) 8,
- sodium (mg) 943,
- calcium (mg) 50,
- iron (mg) 5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet