- Rinse peas well; remove blemished peas. In 8- to 10-quart stock pot combine peas and 12 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- Return peas to stock pot; add broth and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet brown pork on all sides for 4 to 5 minutes to release juices. Add celery, onion, sweet pepper, garlic, oregano, red pepper, and salt. Cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or just until vegetables are tender.
- Using tongs, carefully place pork hocks beneath simmering peas; add celery mixture to peas. Cook, covered, 30 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove hocks to cutting board; cool slightly. Cut meat from bones; discard bones. Chop meat and return to pea mixture. Stir together rice and fresh oregano. Serve pea mixture over rice mixture. Pass hot pepper sauce. Makes 10 (1-3/4-cup) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Chill any remaining pea mixture in a covered storage container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan. Or, place any remaining pea mixture in a freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in a saucepan.
Nutrition Facts(Black-Eyed Peas)
- Per serving:
- 489 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 21 mg chol.,
- 1031 mg sodium,
- 80 g carb.,
- 11 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet