These meatless stuffed peppers are brimming with a cheesy barley stuffing. Use a combination of different colored peppers for an eye-catching presentation.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 22 mins 350°F
cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup sliced fresh mushrooms
cup quick-cooking barley
large red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers (about 1 pound)
cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
cup shredded zucchini
cup soft bread crumbs
teaspoon onion salt
Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
Fresh rosemary (optional)
Dried red chili peppers (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine the broth, mushrooms, and barley. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Cut sweet peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes. If desired, precook pepper halves in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the egg, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the tomato, zucchini, bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, onion salt, and bottled hot pepper sauce. Stir in cooked barley mixture. Place peppers, cut side up, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon barley mixture into the pepper halves.
- Bake stuffed peppers, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is heated through. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the peppers. Return to oven; bake 2 minutes more. Carefully transfer peppers to a serving platter. If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary and dried red chili peppers. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Barley-Stuffed Peppers)
- 195 kcal cal.;
- 5 g Fat, total;
- 62 mg chol.;
- 2 g sat. fat;
- 28 g carb.;
- 5 g fiber;
- 12 g pro.;
- 1 mg iron;
- 126 mg vit. C;
- 172 mg calcium;
- 4519 IU vit. A;
- 364 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet