These meatless stuffed peppers are brimming with a cheesy barley stuffing. Use a combination of different colored peppers for an eye-catching presentation.
- In a medium saucepan combine the broth, mushrooms, and barley. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Cut sweet peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes. If desired, precook pepper halves in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the egg, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the tomato, zucchini, bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, onion salt, and bottled hot pepper sauce. Stir in cooked barley mixture. Place peppers, cut side up, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon barley mixture into the pepper halves.
- Bake stuffed peppers, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is heated through. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the peppers. Return to oven; bake 2 minutes more. Carefully transfer peppers to a serving platter. If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary and dried red chili peppers. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Barley-Stuffed Peppers)
- Per serving:
- 195 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 62 mg chol.,
- 364 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet