Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Bayou Rotisserie Chicken
- Remove neck and giblets from chickens; reserve for another use or discard. Rinse the chicken body cavities; pat dry with paper towels. Place chickens in a 2-gallon resealable plastic bag set in a large bowl. For brine, in a large bowl combine the water, salt, bourbon, honey, lemon peel, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, and garlic. Stir until salt and honey are dissolved. Pour brine over chickens in bag; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove chickens from brine; discard brine. Pat chickens dry with paper towels. Sprinkle Cajun Spice Rub evenly over chickens; rub in with your fingers.
- To secure chickens on a rotisserie rod, place one holding fork on the rod with tines toward the point. Insert rod through one of the chickens, neck end first, pressing the tines of the holding fork firmly into breast meat. To tie wings, slip a 24-inch piece of 100-percent-cotton kitchen string under back of chicken; bring ends of string to front, securing each wing tip. Tie in center of breast, leaving equal string ends. To tie legs, slip a 24-inch piece of string under tail. Loop string around tail, then loop around crossed legs. Tie very tightly to hold bird securely on rod, again leaving string ends. Pull together the strings attached to wings and legs; tie tightly. Trim off excess string. Place second holding fork on rod with tines toward the chicken; press tines of holding fork firmly into thigh meat. Adjust forks and tighten screws. Repeat with remaining chicken. Test balance, making adjustments as necessary.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Secure rotisserie rod; turn on rotisserie motor. Cover and grill for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F in thigh muscle). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Secure rotisserie rod so chickens are over burner that is turned off. Grill as directed.)
- Remove chickens from rotisserie rod. Cover chickens with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with Cajun Broccoli Slaw.
Cajun Spice Rub
- In a small bowl stir together brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, allspice, cayenne pepper, and ground black pepper.
Cajun Broccoli Slaw
- For dressing, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, parsley, white wine vinegar, packed brown sugar, thyme, salt, ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper; set aside. In a large bowl combine shredded broccoli (broccoli slaw mix), green onions, and red sweet pepper. Add dressing; toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve. Before serving, top with toasted pecans.
Nutrition Facts (Bayou Rotisserie Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 672 kcal cal.,
- 47 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 182 mg chol.,
- 1113 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 45 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet