Peppermint Cream Bars
17 1/2 ounce package sugar cookie mix
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
teaspoon peppermint extract
cup crushed peppermint candies
White Chocolate Ganache (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Lightly grease foil; set pan aside.
- For crust, in a large bowl, stir together cookie mix and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- For filling, in a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and peppermint extract. Stir in crushed candies. Carefully pour filling over hot crust.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until filling is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill about 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- Pour White Chocolate Ganache over top, spreading evenly. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until firm. Using the edges of the foil, lift cookies out of pan. Cut into bars. Makes 36 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
White Chocolate Ganache
cup whipping cream
ounces chopped white baking chocolate with cocoa butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add white baking chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool about 5 minutes.