- Makes: 24 servings
- Yields: 24 bars
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 350°F
Maple-Nut Pie Bars
Nonstick cooking spray
cup powdered sugar
cup butter, cut up
eggs, lightly beaten
cup chopped mixed nuts or pecans
cup packed brown sugar
cup pure maple syrup
tablespoons butter, melted
teaspoon maple flavoring or 1 teaspoon vanilla
cup white baking pieces (optional)
teaspoon shortening (optional)
pecan halves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 11x7x1 1/2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of pan. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray; set aside.
- For crust, in a medium bowl, stir together flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom of prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium bowl, combine eggs, mixed nuts, brown sugar, maple syrup, the 2 tablespoons melted butter, and maple flavoring. Spread filling evenly over hot crust.
- Bake about 20 minutes more or until filling is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift the baked mixture out of the pan. Cut into bars.
- For garnish, if desired, in a large glass measuring cup, combine white baking pieces and shortening. Microwave on 100-percent power (high) about 1 minute or until mixture is melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Spoon or drizzle with white chocolate mixture and top with a pecan half. Makes 24 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.