Malted Mocha Bars
cup butter (no substitutes), softened
cup packed brown sugar
Nonstick cooking spray
cup granulated sugar
cups flaked coconut
cup chocolate malted milk powder
teaspoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
teaspoon baking powder
cups sifted powdered sugar
cup malted milk powder
teaspoon instant espresso powder or coffee crystals
teaspoons boiling water
- Heat oven to 350 degree F. Beat together the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Beat or stir in the 1-1/4 cups flour. If necessary, gently knead to mix. Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray; pat flour mixture evenly onto bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, stir together eggs, granulated sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Stir in coconut, the 3/4 cup malted milk powder, 1/4 cup flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons espresso powder, the baking powder, and salt. Carefully spread mixture over partially baked layer. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until set. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for icing beat together powdered sugar, 1/4 cup malted milk powder, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and enough boiling water to make spreading consistency.
- Spread icing over cooled bars. Makes 36 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Place in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze uniced bars up to 3 months; thaw, then ice.
Nutrition Facts(Malted Mocha Bars)
- Per serving:
- 157 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 28 mg chol.,
- 86 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet