Lemony Glazed Shortbread Bars
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil, extending foil 2 inches over each end of the pan. Lightly grease foil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and cornstarch. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon peel. Using your fingers or pressing against side of bowl with a wooden spoon, work lemon peel into powdered sugar until sugar is yellow and very fragrant.* Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, lemon juice, salt, and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Gradually beat in sugar mixture. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture. Continue beating or stirring until dough comes together. Gather dough into a ball.
- Press dough evenly into the prepared pan. Bake on center rack of the oven 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Immediately dollop glaze over top and gently spread to evenly distribute the glaze. Let cool completely. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Cut into 24 squares. Cut each square in half, diagonally. Make 48 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Lemony Glazed Shortbread Bars as directed through step 4. Remove from oven; place baking pan on a wire rack. Let cool 10 minutes. Using a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut into rounds. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Melt 8 ounces white baking chocolate over low heat in a small saucepan. Dip sides of rounds in melted white chocolate to coat. Roll sides of rounds in 2/3 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts to coat. Place on wire rack; drizzle tops with remaining white chocolate. Let stand until white chocolate is set (about 1 hour). Omit Lemony Glaze. Makes about 36 cookies.
Rubbing the lemon peel with the sugar helps allow the lemon oils to be released.
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, finely shredded lemon peel, lemon juice, light-color corn syrup, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
Nutrition Facts(Lemony Glazed Shortbread Bars)
- Per serving:
- 181 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 23 mg chol.,
- 98 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet