cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel, divided
cups granulated sugar
cup lemon juice
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- Prepare Candied Citrus Slices or Strips, (see recipe), if desired. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil; set aside.
- For crust, in large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Beat in 2 cups of the flour until crumbly. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the lemon peel. Evenly press on bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in medium bowl combine eggs, granulated sugar, remaining 1/2 cup flour, lemon juice, baking powder, and nutmeg. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in remaining lemon peel and the lime peel. Pour over hot crust. Bake 20 minutes more or until edges are browned and center appears set. Remove to rack; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar. Lift from pan using foil; cut into bars. Add Candied Citrus Slices or Strips, if desired. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 3 days. Makes 16 to 20 bars.
Candied Citrus Slices
lemons, or 10 key limes, thinly sliced
- In large skillet combine water and sugar; bring to boiling. Add lemons or key limes, thinly sliced. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes or until just softened. Transfer to rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Candied Citrus Strips:
Cut strips of peel from 2 lemons or 2 limes. With spoon scrape away white pith. Cut into thin strips and cook in sugar mixture as above.
Nutrition Facts(Lemon-Lime Bars)
- Per serving:
- 307 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 100 mg chol.,
- 96 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet