Fruit-Filled Oatmeal Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x9x2-inch or 11x7x1-1/2-inch baking pan. Spread with desired filling. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a medium saucepan combine the water, sugar, and cornstarch. Add raisins. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Use bottled mincemeat or pie filling.
- In a medium bowl combine applesauce, cranberries, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a medium saucepan combine apricots and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine sugar and flour; stir into apricot mixture. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until thickened and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit-Filled Oatmeal Bars)
- Per serving:
- 111 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 11 mg chol.,
- 55 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet