Five-Spice Pear Pie Bars
cup cold butter
egg yolks, beaten
cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced ripe pears (about 2 1/4 pounds)
cup crushed cornflakes
teaspoon five-spice powder
egg white, beaten
recipe Orange Icing
- For pastry, in a large bowl combine flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and milk. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture, tossing with a fork to moisten. Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons water over the mixture, gently tossing until all of the mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry into two portions, making one portion slightly larger than the other. Wrap and chill until needed.
- For filling, in an extra-large bowl combine pears, the 1 cup sugar, the cornflakes, and the 1 teaspoon five-spice powder. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to pat the larger portion of pastry into the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spoon filling evenly into pastry-lined pan.
- Roll the remaining pastry portion between two sheets of waxed paper to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Carefully peel off top sheet of waxed paper. Invert rectangle, pastry side down, over the filling. Carefully peel off waxed paper. Using damp fingers, press edges of the two rectangles together. Cut a few slits in the top pastry; brush lightly with egg white.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until pastry is golden, fruit is tender, and filling is bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Drizzle with Orange Icing. Let stand until icing is set. Cut into bars.
cups powdered sugar
teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
tablespoons orange juice
- In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, orange peel, and enough orange juice to make icing a drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Five-Spice Pear Pie Bars)
- Per serving:
- 179 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 21 mg chol.,
- 81 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 16 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet