Cherry Kuchen Bars
teaspoons baking powder
21 ounce can cherry pie filling*
recipe Powdered Sugar Icing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the dough. Spread remaining dough in the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Spread pie filling over crust in pan. Spoon reserved dough into small mounds on top of pie filling.
- Bake about 30 minutes more or until top is light brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Drizzle top with Powdered Sugar Icing. Cool completely. Cut into bars to serve.
From the Test Kitchen
You may substitute your favorite flavor of pie filling for the cherry pie filling.
Powdered Sugar Icing
cups powdered sugar
teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and enough milk to make a smooth icing of drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Cherry Kuchen Bars)
- Per serving:
- 189 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 27 mg chol.,
- 84 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet