Autumn Pumpkin Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Stir in eggs, pumpkin, and oil until combined. Pour batter into an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread uncut bars with Cream Cheese Frosting. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and, if desired, nuts. Cut into bars. Tightly cover bars in pan with foil and chill overnight.
- Tote bars in pan in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
From the Test Kitchen
Autumn Applesauce Bars:
Prepare as directed, except substitute one 15-ounce jar applesauce for the pumpkin.
A tip from our kitchen:
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to make a frosting of spreading consistency.
Browned Butter Frosting
- In a small saucepan heat butter over low heat until melted. Continue heating until butter turns a light golden brown. Remove from heat. In a large bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Add browned butter. Beat on medium speed until spreading consistency, adding additional milk if necessary.
Nutrition Facts (Autumn Pumpkin Bars)
- Per serving:
- 243 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 37 mg chol.,
- 135 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 28 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet