- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 of a vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 large red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan combine mushrooms, the water, barley, and bouillon cube. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender; drain.
2. Meanwhile, halve sweet peppers lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes. If desired, precook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Invert onto paper towels to drain.
3. In a medium bowl combine egg, tomato, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the zucchini, bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, onion salt, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in cooked barley mixture. Place peppers, cut sides up, in an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Spoon barley mixture into peppers.
4. Bake, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until barley mixture is heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 231,
- Fat, total (g) 5,
- chol. (mg) 65,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 33,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 13,
- sodium (mg) 514,
- Vegetables () 1,
- Starch () 2,
- Lean Meat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet