cup sliced fresh mushrooms
cup quick-cooking barley
of a vegetable bouillon cube
large red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers
egg, lightly beaten
large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
cup shredded zucchini
cup soft bread crumbs
teaspoon onion salt
Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan combine mushrooms, the water, barley, and bouillon cube. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, halve sweet peppers lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes. If desired, precook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Invert onto paper towels to drain.
- In a medium bowl combine egg, tomato, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the zucchini, bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, onion salt, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in cooked barley mixture. Place peppers, cut sides up, in an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Spoon barley mixture into peppers.
- Bake, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until barley mixture is heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts(Barley-Stuffed Peppers)
- Per serving:
- 231 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 65 mg chol.,
- 514 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet