If your supermarket carries extra-lean stew meat, use it in this tantalizing stew to cut the fat even more.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. In a large skillet cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat.
- Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in broth, tomatoes, onion, parsnip, frozen vegetables, barley, celery, bay leaf, garlic, oregano, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Barley-Beef Soup)
- Per serving:
- 184 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 20 mg chol.,
- 509 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet