If your supermarket carries extra-lean stew meat, use it in this tantalizing stew to cut the fat even more.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. In a large skillet, cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat.
- Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in broth, undrained tomatoes, onion, parsnip, frozen vegetables, barley, celery, bay leaf, garlic, oregano, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaf and discard before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Barley-Beef Soup)
- Per serving:
- 168 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 25 mg chol.,
- 492 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet