Banana-Butterscotch Cream Pie
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie or half of a 15-ounce package (1 crust) rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust
teaspoon unflavored gelatin
tablespoon cold water
cups packed dark brown sugar
cup whipping cream
cups whole milk
egg yolks, lightly beaten
egg, lightly beaten
ounces white baking chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
ounces dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. If using, prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired. Generously prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. (If using refrigerated piecrust, follow package directions.)
- In a 6-ounce custard cup stir gelatin into the cold water; set aside to soften.
- In a large saucepan combine 1 cup of the brown sugar and the butter. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture is slightly dark brown in color and smells almost burnt. Immediately add cream (mixture may sputter). Remove from heat.
- In another small saucepan heat milk just until bubbly around the edges. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl stir together the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt. Add egg yolks, egg, and vanilla. Whisk about 1 minute or until fluffy. Gradually stir hot milk into egg mixture. Add egg mixture to cream mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat about 15 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin mixture.
- Cut bananas into 1/2-inch slices; fold into cream mixture. Pour into pastry shell. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap and chill pie for 4 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, fill a small, heavy resealable plastic bag with melted white chocolate. Fill another bag with melted dark chocolate. Snip a small hole in one corner of each bag. Pipe chocolates over pie.
From the Test Kitchen
Twist on a Classic
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
cup butter, cut up
cup ice water
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (1/4 to 1/3 cup total), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
Nutrition Facts(Banana-Butterscotch Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 712 kcal cal.,
- 37 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 184 mg chol.,
- 309 mg sodium,
- 88 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 53 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet