- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Slow Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
Balsamic Beef Roast with Polenta
2 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
16 ounce package frozen small whole onions
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup lower-sodium beef broth
tablespoons balsamic vinegar
tablespoons tomato paste
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
recipe Soft Polenta
Snipped fresh Italian parsley
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Place frozen onions in cooker. Place meat on top of onions. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. In a small bowl combine the broth, vinegar, tomato paste, tapioca, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Pour mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer meat to a serving platter. Skim off fat from cooking liquid. Serve meat with Soft Polenta and cooking liquid. Sprinkle with parsley. If desired, garnish with cheese.
cup yellow cornmeal
cup cold water
- In a medium saucepan bring 2 3/4 cups water to boiling. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together cornmeal, 1 cup cold water, and salt. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick and tender, stirring frequently and adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a slow boil.
Nutrition Facts (Balsamic Beef Roast with Polenta)
- Per serving:
- 399 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 75 mg chol.,
- 498 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet