- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Stand: 1 hr
- Cook: 1 hr to 15 hrs
Baked Beans with Bacon
pound dry navy beans or Great Northern beans
cup chopped onion (1 large)
ounces bacon (about 6 slices) or pancetta, chopped
cup packed brown sugar
cup Worcestershire sauce
teaspoons dry mustard
teaspoon ground black pepper
ounces bacon (about 6 slices) or pancetta, chopped, crisp-cooked, and drained (optional)
- Rinse beans. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven combine beans and 8 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- Return beans to Dutch oven. Stir in 8 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the liquid.
- In the same Dutch oven cook onion and 4 ounces bacon over medium heat until bacon is slightly crisp and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in beans, the reserved bean liquid, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Transfer bean mixture to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Transfer bean mixture to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Cover and reheat on high-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours or until heated through and slightly thickened.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. If desired, tote the additional cooked bacon in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep beans warm on warm-heat setting. (Beans will keep warm, covered, on warm-heat setting for up to 3 hours.) Top with the additional cooked bacon.
From the Test Kitchen
3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs (optional)
Nutrition Facts (Baked Beans with Bacon)
- Per serving:
- 225 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 6 mg chol.,
- 335 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet