Bacon-Cracked Pepper Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, pepper, cream of tartar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk and the 1/4 cup bacon all at once. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing for four to six strokes or just until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter; reroll scraps as necessary. Dip cutter into flour between cuts. Place dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- If desired, sprinkle biscuits with cheese and the 1 slice crumbled bacon. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
If the baking powder or cream of tartar appear lumpy, sift them through a fine-mesh sieve before using.
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Place frozen biscuits in a resealable freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Bake frozen biscuits for 20 minutes or until golden.
Traditional Buttermilk Biscuits:
Prepare as directed, except omit pepper, bacon, and cheese.
Nutrition Facts per biscuit: 231 cal., 4 g protein, 27 g carb., 12 g total fat, 32 mg chol., 7 g sat. fat, 1 g dietary fiber, 7% vit. A, 0% vit. C, 297 mg sodium, 12% calcium, 9% iron.
Nutrition Facts (Bacon-Cracked Pepper Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 246 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 359 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.