Bacon-Cheddar Potato Dip
- In a covered large saucepan cook potatoes in enough boiling, lightly salted water to cover for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; reserve 1 tablespoon of the crumbled bacon for topping.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining crumbled bacon, cream cheese for cooking, 3/4 cup of the cheddar cheese, the sour cream, green onions, and garlic salt. Press cooked potatoes through a ricer* onto the cheese mixture; stir gently to combine. Spoon potato mixture into a 1-1/2- or 2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for about 2 hours or until heated through (160 degrees F).
- Top dip with the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and the reserved bacon. Serve immediately or keep warm, covered, on warm-heat or low-heat setting for up to 2 hours. Serve with potato chips.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't have a ricer, mash potatoes with a potato masher until fluffy.
Bacon, Blue Cheese, and Potato Dip:
Prepare as directed above, except substitute 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (4 ounces) for the cheddar cheese. Serve with barbecue-flavor potato chips or celery sticks instead of sour-cream-and-onion-flavor potato chips and sweet pepper wedges.
Nutrition Facts per 2 tablespoons: 39 calories, 1 g protein, 3 g carb., 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 2% Vitamin A, 5% Vitamin C, 82 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 1% iron
Nutrition Facts (Bacon-Cheddar Potato Dip)
- Per serving:
- 40 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 7 mg chol.,
- 64 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 0 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet