tablespoon olive oil
1/4-inch-thick slices peameal bacon, each halved crosswise (1 pound total)
cup pure maple syrup
teaspoons lemon juice
slices party rye bread
cup stone-ground mustard
small slices extra-sharp aged cheddar cheese (about 1 1/2 inches square and 1/4 inch thick)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the peameal bacon slices and cook for 3 minutes or until browned on each side, turning once. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining bacon slices, adding more oil as necessary. Return all bacon to the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and lemon juice. Add to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently for 3 minutes or until liquid has nearly evaporated and bacon slices are glazed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Turn slices over; spread with mustard. Top half of the slices with a slice of cheese; top cheese slices with a slice of bacon. Add remaining bread slices, buttered-sides up.
- Heat a griddle or another large skillet over medium heat. Add half of the sandwiches. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until toasted and cheese starts to melt, turning once. Remove sandwiches to a baking sheet. Keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts(Bacon-and-Cheddar Bites)
- Per serving:
- 208 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 39 mg chol.,
- 534 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet