- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
32 ounce box reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup finely chopped onion
cup dry sherry (optional)
cup half-and-half or light cream
Bottled hot pepper sauce, such as Cholula brand (optional)
Mexican crema or sour cream
recipe Crispy Tortilla Shreds
- In a blender or food processor combine 2 cups of the chicken broth and the three avocados. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook onion in hot butter for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
- If using sherry, remove saucepan from heat. Carefully add sherry. (If not using sherry, continue to step 4). Return to heat; cook and stir until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- Add the avocado puree, the remaining broth, the half-and-half, and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat just until mixture is heated through (do not boil). If desired, season to taste with bottled hot pepper sauce.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill before serving. Serve topped with crema, Crispy Tortilla Shreds, and chopped avocado and/or red onion.
From the Test Kitchen
If not using sherry, skip Step 3.
Crispy Tortilla Shreds
6 inch corn tortillas
cup vegetable oil
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch wide strips. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add tortilla strips, 1/4 at a time, to oil. Cook until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Nutrition Facts (Avocado Soup)
- Per serving:
- 419 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 16 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 665 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesAppetizers, Christmas Recipes, Easy Appetizers, Ethnic Recipes, Fruit Salad Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Mexican Recipes, Party Appetizers, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Quick and Easy Recipes, Soup Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes