Avocado and Asparagus Egg Sandwiches
pound green, white, and/or purple asparagus, trimmed
avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
teaspoon lime juice
slice white, wheat, or brioche bread
slice crisp-cooked bacon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place asparagus in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Cover with about 2 cups of boiling water. Let stand for 10 to 12 minutes, until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain. Finely chop three of the asparagus spears; set aside.
- In a small bowl mash avocado with lime juice. Stir in chopped asparagus; set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Break eggs into skillet. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook eggs for 6 minutes, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. If desired, turn eggs, to fully cook the yolks.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread. Spread avocado-asparagus on four slices. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Layer bacon, egg, asparagus, and remaining bread.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, add 2 slices fresh tomato to each sandwich.
Nutrition Facts(Avocado and Asparagus Egg Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 410 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 219 mg chol.,
- 896 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet